Naghshe Jahan Square, also known by the historical name of Shah Square and after the Iranian Revolution with the official name of Imam Square, is the central square of Isfahan, which is located in the heart of the historical complex of Naghshe Jahan.
Historic buildings on the four sides of Naghshe Jahan Square include Aliaqapo Palace , Shah Mosque (Imam Mosque), Sheikh Lotfollah Mosque and Qaisarieh Gate, which is the main entrance of Isfahan Bazaar. In addition, there are two hundred two-story rooms around the square, which are generally the place of supply of Isfahan handicrafts.
Naghshe Jahan Square is one of the first Iranian works to be inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Naghshe Jahan Square is a rectangular square 560 meters long and 160 meters wide. The building in the current form of Naghshe Jahan Square belongs to the Safavid period and the date of completion of construction in 1315 AD and 1636 AD.
The French knight Jean Chardin has called Naghsh-e Jahan the most beautiful square in the world. During the reign of Shah Abbas the Great and his successors, the square was a place for polo, army parades, lighting, and various shows during the days of royal celebrations, and for people to walk and shop on other days.
Two stone polo gates from that period still remain on the field, which indicates the practice of polo in that period and is the oldest polo gate in the world.
Naghsh Jahan Square and its surrounding area have been completely dedicated to walking and strolling in recent years. Of course, cycling and Carriage riding are allowed in this square.